A largish village south of Long Sutton containing a number of historic buildings especially around the sothern end near to the church.
The sizeable church of All Saints is very old and was acquired by the Treasurer of Wells Cathedral in 1227.
The Treasurers House is right across the road from the church and is another historic building now in the care of the National Trust. The house is open with a limited schedule but is worth the visit. Its the oldest house in Somerset apart from the Bishops Palace and the house has a number of architectural features of different ages. The most impressive of the house features is the 13th century painted mural depicting some angels.
The market hall now contains the local information bureau. The village has been a "market town" since around 1247 and still regularly holds a market.
There is a more modern shopping area now called the Moorlands Shopping Centre. It contains a small supermarket, chip shop, bakery and library.
On the outskirts of the village in the hamlet of Hurst is a craft centre, art gallery and wood yard called Yandles.
Images relating to Martock.