Wedmore is a large village on the raised up area known as "The Isle of Wedmore". It is about 4 miles south of Cheddar and 4 miles north of Westhay with Blackford and Theale west and east. It's a popular and desirable place to live with great views towards the Mendip Hills.
Where most of the villages in the somerset levels have a village store, Wedmore has a packed high street and even a small precinct of shopping area. The shops include the Post Office, many clothes stores, a chemist, hardware store, travel agent, wine sellers to name a few. There are also pubs, cafe, resturants, solicitors, dentist, and art galleries.
The location was a royal hunting lodge back in Saxon times. According to the saxon chronicler Asser, it is the place where Alfred took Guthram in 878 AD and celebrated his victory over the viking warrior after he had baptised him and 30 of his men in the church at Aller. It is alluded to by Asser that Alfred made a peace treaty known as "The Treaty of Wedmore" although no evidence of it exists.
Undoubtedly there would have been some kind of church there in Saxon times and a hoard of 200 silver saxon coins were found in the churchyard in 1853. The current building dedicated to St Mary has parts ranging from the 12th to 15th century. It is a sizeable church and contains an unusual 15th century wall painting of St Christopher. In the church yard is an old medieval stone cross and another stone laid in 1878 celebrating 1000 years from the Treaty of Wedmore.
Part way along the high street is a late 14th century stone cross set back from the road.
The chemist is located in an unsual building made in the italianate style.
Images relating to Wedmore.