Westhay is a small village approximately one mile west from Meare.
The village has a collection of houses and farms. It no longer has a church but has a pub called The Bird in Hand. There is a film club which meets up in the pub to show films. There is an external link below to see their current schedule.
It had a school but it is now a community hall called The School Rooms. This hall has within it copies of the old Tithe Maps for the parish of Meare and Westhay. One dates to 1844 and the other is 1884. The original maps are kept in Somerset Museum at Taunton. An effort was made to photograph them and this site has the results in two zoomable maps. This links to the 1844 map and this link is to the 1884 one.
Just to the north east of the village lies the Meare Lake villages.
Just to the north is the river brue and just beyond that is lay-by where there is a memorial stone commemorating the world speed record for a helicopter.
A gallery of images related to the town of Westhay can be viewed here.