Glastonbury and Meare Lake Villages
An amateur antiquarian called Arthur Bulleid spent an extended time looking for some prehistoric settlements and in 1892 discovered one near to Glastonbury. This became known as the Glastonbury Lake Village and lies approximately 1/2 mile West of Glastonbury and 2 miles East of Meare.
During the period of excavation he was given some more artifacts from a farmer just North of Meare and from 1909 to 1956 he excavated the area and found the two Meare Lake Villages. These are now only visible as lumps in the grass but occupy a field North of Meare towards Westhay.
The settlements are simple houses raised up using mud and sphagnum moss. They were probably used during the summer months when the water level was not as great as in winter months. Many interesting artifacts were uncovered from the villages including combs for weaving and decorative beads. They date to around 250 BC to 50 BC.
Reference books on the subject include:
- The Lake Villages of Somerset" by Stephen Minnitt and John Coles.
- Wet and Wonderful" by Richard Brunning.
- The Lost Islands of Somerset" by Richard Brunning.